Ubuntu 8.04 - all drives now SCSI

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Sun May 11 14:39:41 UTC 2008

On Sat, May 10, 2008 at 07:12:31PM -0400, Moniz Family wrote:
> I am putting together a older PC for my dear mother-in-law to replace
> her even older one, and just installed Ubuntu 8.04. Now all of the
> drives boot up as SCSI. The hard drive (hda) is SDA, the DVD (hdc) is
> now scd0. All sorts of problems have resulted from that little conversion.
>
> I first installed Ubuntu 7.10 from the live CD. From the live CD, I did
> the partitioning with gparted (or is it qtparted?) and all was normal.
> Then I installed 7.10 from the CD and all drives were normal. During the
> updates, I noticed that 8.04LTS was available as an update, so I did it.
> Then I performed added some repositories, including medibuntu, and did
> whatever updates were noted. During some troubleshooting of DVD
> playback, I noticed that the drives were no longer IDE.
>
> If I boot with the Ubuntu 7.10 live disk, the drives are IDE. Also, grub
> lists three kernels to boot from. The oldest (2.6.22-14 generic) still
> boots with IDE drives. The two newest kernels on the gub list (2.6.24-16
> & 2.6.24-17 generic) both boot with SCSI drives.
>
> Does anyone know what could be causing this? I'd like to fix it as I've
> invested too much time to this stage of the install, but if I can't fix
> it, the next step will involve either Mandriva or FC.

That's a GOOD thing.  Making all drives appear using a consistent
interface makes things much simpler in general.  Also libata is much
better than the old IDE system in terms of handling errors and such.

By the way they are not appearing as scsi, simply as devices with a scsi
style interface, just like USB, firewire, and lots of other things have
already done for years.

So what you are seeing is simply a result of moving to new and better
drivers with a better interface.  It is not a bug at all.  The fix is to
convert your fstab and boot settings to use the new drive names.

--
Len Sorensen