Dvorak almost says something clever

Ian Petersen ispeters-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri May 9 02:17:56 UTC 2008

On Wed, May 7, 2008 at 10:44 AM, William Park <opengeometry-FFYn/CNdgSA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>  But, that doesn't explain VW, Toyota, or Honda.  I think, GM/Ford simply
>  build cars that people don't want to buy, and then blame their
>  competitions for selling better cars.

I don't know about VW, but Toyota and Honda have managed to avoid the
unionization of their workers and I always thought that was a big
financial benefit for them.  I can't cite any sources, but my
understanding is that the big American car makers take home a couple
of hundred dollars per vehicle for the entry-level cars, whereas the
Japanese companies take home several hundred to a thousand, and I've
been told the difference basically comes down to the unions.  I don't
think Ford has a problem selling cars, either--I mean, didn't Toyota
only _just_ surpass them in the sales numbers?  If that's true, then
_somebody_ wants to buy what Ford is selling.

Ian

--
Tired of pop-ups, security holes, and spyware?
Try Firefox: http://www.getfirefox.com