Debian server vs. Ubuntu server

Kevin Cozens kevin-4dS5u2o1hCn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org
Thu May 8 19:18:10 UTC 2008

Richard Dice wrote:
> Ubuntu obviously has gained a greal deal of
> attention over the past few years as a user desktop, but what about as a
> server?  I plan on setting up software RAID overlying LVM and encrypted
> partitions.  Would trying to set this up with Ubuntu drive me crazy?

When I set up my new machine (which uses two drives in RAID1) I copied over
the partition with Ubuntu 6.06. I recently tried to upgrade to 8.04 so I could
see how it has changed since I last used it.

What I have seen (so far) is that Ubuntu doesn't seem to support software RAID
out of the box. It sees my two drives as separate drives. I tried to manually
add in and enable the RAID support in the Ubuntu install but it didn't work.
It still did not properly recognize my two drives as being part of a RAID
configuration. Admittedly, I haven't tried very hard as Ubuntu is not my main
Linux based distro.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.