Keyboard not working - Kubuntu 6.06

Herb Richter hgr-FjoMob2a1F7QT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Fri May 2 04:08:01 UTC 2008

Earlier today the keyboard on a Kubuntu 6.06 workstation stopped working
  while composing an e-mail in Thunderbird.

Not working meaning that no keys are acknowledged and "Num Lock" does
not light the LED.

We tried logging out and back in - the keyboard is fine when entering
the password but then "dies" sometime during the initialization process
(I think at about the point when the devices (ie printer) are initialized).

The mouse continues to work correctly as does running applications
remotely as user.

Logging in as user in failsafe mode also works.

I tried adding another user and logging in which works fine.  Logging in
again to the original user still fails.

I do want to avoid running under the new user - actually I want to avoid
migrating all the stuff from the original user account to the new one.
I would be uncomfortable with the possibility that this might just
happen again if we don't find the real cause.

Updating the installation to the latest version did not help.

I did look at the recently changed files in the user's home and sub
directories but didn't see anything obvious.

I would really appreciate any help and so would the user ;)

TIA,
Herb Richter