XMMS replacement

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu May 1 14:04:19 UTC 2008

Madison Kelly wrote:
> Hi all,
>
>   After updating Ubuntu yesterday I found that XMMS has been deprecated.
> Apparently, this is not unique to Ubuntu... XMMS seems to be fading. :(
> I love it because it's a music player. Not a library management program.
> Not a blender. It just plays music.
>
>   So what is the GTALUG's recommended replacement for XMMS? My only real
> criteria is; I want to be able to sort my music in the order they are
> stored on my filesystem (I've used directory names to sort albums by the
> years of their release) and I want to be able to queue songs on the fly.
>
>   If a program simply must do more, fine, but I want that simple
> feature. Rythmbox doesn't seem to allow simply sorting as per the
> filesystem and Amaroc, last I checked, didn't support queuing.
>
> Thanks all!
>
> Madi - who is running on XMMS again after compiling from source, but
> sees the writing on the wall.

XMMS has been deprecated across a few distributions over time, I think
Gentoo might have done that more than a year ago even. However, Beep
Media Player is a GTK2 port of XMMS, and I think Audacity is a port of Beep.

That being said, I don't recall using a version of Amarok that didn't
support queueing so maybe you'd like to revisit that?

Jamon