Problems Upgrading Ubuntu from 7.10 to 8.04 LTS

Stephen stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu May 1 14:00:27 UTC 2008

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> Running out of disk space during an upgrade can cause some serious
> problems.  Removing some stuff (not stuff belonging to packages of
> course) and then running 'dpkg --configure -a' and 'apt-get -f install'
> can usually recover from it and let you go back to doing the upgrade.

I think I have  very sick situation. Results of the two commands:

root at PWP:~# dpkg --configure -a
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of synaptic:
 synaptic depends on libapt-pkg-libc6.7-6-4.6; however:
  Package libapt-pkg-libc6.7-6-4.6 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing synaptic (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of jockey-gtk:
 jockey-gtk depends on synaptic; however:
  Package synaptic is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing jockey-gtk (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of aptitude:
 aptitude depends on libapt-pkg-libc6.7-6-4.6; however:
  Package libapt-pkg-libc6.7-6-4.6 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing aptitude (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ubuntu-desktop:
 ubuntu-desktop depends on synaptic; however:
  Package synaptic is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing ubuntu-desktop (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of python-apt:
 python-apt depends on libapt-pkg-libc6.7-6-4.6; however:
  Package libapt-pkg-libc6.7-6-4.6 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing python-apt (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of apt-utils:
 apt-utils depends on libapt-pkg-libc6.7-6-4.6; however:
  Package libapt-pkg-libc6.7-6-4.6 is not installed.
dpkg: error processing apt-utils (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of update-manager:
 update-manager depends on synaptic (>= 0.57.8); however:
  Package synaptic is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing update-manager (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ubuntu-minimal:
 ubuntu-minimal depends on apt-utils; however:
  Package apt-utils is not configured yet.
 ubuntu-minimal depends on aptitude; however:
  Package aptitude is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing ubuntu-minimal (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of software-properties-gtk:
 software-properties-gtk depends on synaptic (>= 0.57.8); however:
  Package synaptic is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing software-properties-gtk (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of apturl:
 apturl depends on python-apt; however:
  Package python-apt is not configured yet.
 apturl depends on synaptic; however:
  Package synaptic is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing apturl (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of language-selector:
 language-selector depends on python-apt (>= 0.6.12); however:
  Package python-apt is not configured yet.
 language-selector depends on synaptic; however:
  Package synaptic is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing language-selector (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of
python-software-properties:
 python-software-properties depends on python-apt (>= 0.6.20ubuntu16);
however:
  Package python-apt is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing python-software-properties (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gnome-app-install:
 gnome-app-install depends on python-apt (>= 0.7.4ubuntu4); however:
  Package python-apt is not configured yet.
 gnome-app-install depends on synaptic (>= 0.57.8); however:
  Package synaptic is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing gnome-app-install (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of python-apport:
 python-apport depends on python-apt; however:
  Package python-apt is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing python-apport (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gdebi-core:
 gdebi-core depends on python-apt (>= 0.7.0); however:
  Package python-apt is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing gdebi-core (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of update-manager-core:
 update-manager-core depends on python-apt (>= 0.7.4ubuntu5); however:
  Package python-apt is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing update-manager-core (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of update-notifier:
 update-notifier depends on python-apt (>= 0.6.12); however:
  Package python-apt is not configured yet.
 update-notifier depends on update-manager; however:
  Package update-manager is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing update-notifier (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of unattended-upgrades:
 unattended-upgrades depends on apt-utils; however:
  Package apt-utils is not configured yet.
 unattended-upgrades depends on python-apt (>= 0.6.14ubuntu2); however:
  Package python-apt is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing unattended-upgrades (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of command-not-found:
 command-not-found depends on python-apt; however:
  Package python-apt is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing command-not-found (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of gdebi:
 gdebi depends on gdebi-core (= 0.3.8); however:
  Package gdebi-core is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing gdebi (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of python-launchpad-bugs:
 python-launchpad-bugs depends on python-apt; however:
  Package python-apt is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing python-launchpad-bugs (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of apport:
 apport depends on python-apport (>= 0.43); however:
  Package python-apport is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing apport (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of ubufox:
 ubufox depends on apturl (>= 0.1.2ubuntu1); however:
  Package apturl is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing ubufox (--configure):
dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of apport-gtk:
 apport-gtk depends on apport (>= 0.41); however:
  Package apport is not configured yet.
 apport-gtk depends on python-apport (>= 0.80); however:
  Package python-apport is not configured yet.
dpkg: error processing apport-gtk (--configure):
 synaptic
 jockey-gtk
 aptitude
 ubuntu-desktop
 python-apt
 apt-utils
 update-manager
 ubuntu-minimal
 software-properties-gtk
 apturl
 language-selector
 python-software-properties
 gnome-app-install
 python-apport
 gdebi-core
 update-manager-core
 update-notifier
 unattended-upgrades
 command-not-found
 gdebi
 python-launchpad-bugs
 apport
 ubufox
 apport-gtk

root at PWP:~# apt-get -f install
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Correcting dependencies... Done
required:
  libwvstreams4.3-extras libgtkhtml3.8-15 libmtp6 libneon26 python-at-spi
  libsnmp10 libicu36 libgfortran2 libglew1.4 refblas3 libcamel1.2-10
libgpod2
  lapack3 gcc-3.4-base gcc-4.1 libsvg1 libpcrecpp0
  linux-headers-2.6.22-14-generic gutsy-wallpapers libgtkhtml2.0-cil
  libdirectfb-0.9-25 python-numarray libgsl0 libwvstreams4.3-base libblas3gf
  liblapack3gf liboobs-1-3 libdb4.2 libdb4.5 linux-headers-2.6.22-14
  libtotem-plparser7 libuniconf4.3 libg2c0 libnss3-0d feisty-gdm-themes
  libntfs-3g12 librsvg2.0-cil
  apt
Suggested packages:
  apt-doc dpkg-dev
  apt
1 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
24 not fully installed or removed.
Need to get 0B/1650kB of archives.
After unpacking 774kB of additional disk space will be used.
Do you want to continue [Y/n]? Y
apt-extracttemplates: error while loading shared libraries:
libapt-pkg-libc6.7-6.so.4.6: cannot open shared object file: No such
file or directory
debconf: apt-extracttemplates failed: Bad file descriptor
(Reading database ... 154548 files and directories currently installed.)
Preparing to replace apt 0.7.6ubuntu14.1 (using
.../apt_0.7.9ubuntu17_i386.deb) ...
Unpacking replacement apt ...
dpkg-deb (subprocess): error in buffer_read(stream): failed to write to
pipe in copy: Input/output error
dpkg-deb: subprocess paste returned error exit status 2
dpkg: error processing
/var/cache/apt/archives/apt_0.7.9ubuntu17_i386.deb (--unpack):
 short read in buffer_copy (backend dpkg-deb during
`./usr/share/locale/mr/LC_MESSAGES/apt.mo')
 /var/cache/apt/archives/apt_0.7.9ubuntu17_i386.deb