XMMS replacement

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Thu May 1 13:02:35 UTC 2008

Hi all,

   After updating Ubuntu yesterday I found that XMMS has been
deprecated. Apparently, this is not unique to Ubuntu... XMMS seems to be
fading. :( I love it because it's a music player. Not a library
management program. Not a blender. It just plays music.

   So what is the GTALUG's recommended replacement for XMMS? My only
real criteria is; I want to be able to sort my music in the order they
are stored on my filesystem (I've used directory names to sort albums by
the years of their release) and I want to be able to queue songs on the
fly.

   If a program simply must do more, fine, but I want that simple
feature. Rythmbox doesn't seem to allow simply sorting as per the
filesystem and Amaroc, last I checked, didn't support queuing.

Thanks all!

Madi - who is running on XMMS again after compiling from source, but
sees the writing on the wall.