Of Linus, KDE, and mouse buttons

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 29 17:09:31 UTC 2008

JoeHill wrote:

> Like with so many other issues, a lot of people just love to pretend that everything comes down to a choice between two things. Perhaps they are easily confused? Dunno.
> Personally, I think Torvalds is missing the point completely. Apparently he believes that, like him, every single Linux user wants to install one desktop environment and be done with it.
That sounds about right to me.

Most people I know who have lives have better things to do with their
time than having to evaluate different desktop choices. The platform is,
for most people, a means rather than an end; their efforts are best
spent mastering applications.

> That one desktop environment should just give him everything he wants. Great, but unfortunately then you end up with...KDE, the most ridiculous and bloated crap imagineable.

Such superlatives -- especially launched at a system many people appear
to have had far less problem mastering -- don't help make a case. I for
one can certainly imagine -- and have even used -- software far more
bloated and less ridiculous.

> Using the KDE file selection dialogue is less fun than stepping on a nail. Last time I checked, they still had not figured out the concept of 'drag and drop'.

Works for me. YMMV, I guess.

> There is a very good reason why most applications are developed using GTK, and now more and more PyGTK. The same reason that the best desktop environment there is, XFCE4,
The best? Does that mean that you prefer one? Isn't that.... a  _choice_?

- Evan