External VGA support on my laptop

jing gargamel.su-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 27 19:25:49 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 11:41 AM, John Fruhwirth <johnfruh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> I have just re-executed aticonfig as super user with the following poor
> result ending in an abort...
>
> johnfruh at eMachine:~$ sudo aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf
> [sudo] password for johnfruh:
>
>  Uninitialised file found, configuring.
> Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf
> Saved back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original-1
>
> *** glibc detected *** aticonfig: munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer:
> 0xbfd619d9 ***

YIKES!  Well, sorry but I think that's the end of what I can do to
help.  The only two other suggestions I can try to offer are:

- try rebooting your system in single-user mode with NO X and retry
running the aticonfig.  Maybe the utility is trying to maniupulate or
probe memory that is causing interference with X and borking.

- try blacklisting all ATI and related graphics drivers and reboot.
This way no interfering modules are loaded which may cause probes from
the utility to fail and die.  You can find the modules that are loaded
by doing 'lsmod' as superuser.  You can find out what the modules are
by using 'modinfo'.  Finally, depending on your system, you can
typically blacklist modules by sticking them inside the
/etc/modprobe.d/blacklist file.

- Finally, without an ATI card, I can't really try it out to compare
results.  A google of "aticonfig: munmap_chunk(): invalid pointer"
showed quite a few results so you might want to browse some of them to
see if any apply to your system.