acanac pricing / support / service

Dave Germiquet davegermiquet-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 27 19:13:42 UTC 2008

Hi Guys,

The reason why I switched to My Current provider was BECAUSE rogers
was capping SSH too :)

I had so many issues with rogers throttling encyrption traffic as well.

On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 2:08 PM, CLIFFORD ILKAY
<clifford_ilkay-biY6FKoJMRdBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>  > On Thu, Mar 27, 2008 at 01:25:57PM -0400, Dave Germiquet wrote:
>  >> Hi Guys,
>  >>
>  >> I heard a couple of you guys are using acanac, how is the service for
>  >> torrents / downloading for you after the trial period?
>  >>
>  >> I'm thinking of saving like 12 bucks a month myself :)
>  >
>  > Well based on the recent news of what Bell is doing to the DSL network,
>  > the torrent support will probably become very bad real soon.
>
>  Apparently, use of any encrypted protocols on the Bell network will
>  result in the entire connection being throttled. Rogers, as odious an
>  ISP as it is, is not doing deep packet inspection for the time being.
>  Now that Bell has jumped first, the field is now clear for Rogers to do
>  what Bell is doing so even if you don't care about BitTorrent, I believe
>  you will eventually be subjected to reduced service from Rogers if you
>  use ssh/scp/sftp/ssl. It is only a matter of time.
>
>  Rogers and Bell have an oligopoly and as such, they are behaving
>  predictably and rationally. They could not get away with this if there
>  were real competition. We need control of the last mile. I have made
>  inquiries about dark fiber with the aim of starting a community fiber
>  project but I have not found pricing that makes any semblance of sense,
>  certainly nothing like the pricing one can find in the U.S., parts of
>  Europe, or South Korea. We are going to become a backwater on the
>  Internet if Rogers and Bell are allowed unfettered control of the market.
>  --
>  Regards,
>
>  Clifford Ilkay
>  Dinamis Corporation
>  1419-3266 Yonge St.
>  Toronto, ON
>  Canada  M4N 3P6
>
>  <http://dinamis.com>
>  +1 416-410-3326
>

> --
>  The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>  TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

The man who is always a newbie at something,
Dave Germiquet

Everytime I learn something new,
I realize I know very little.