Michael Geist - Bell Secretly Throttling Wholesale Internet Services? - UPDATED

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 27 12:59:33 UTC 2008

Doesn't affect me. Bell's line-quality is such crap that I can't get a
decent speed for torrents anyhow ^^

Seems to me that this whole line-rental thing is the golden-goose for
Bell. They can screw the third-party ISP's and their customers with
immunity. All they need to do is "provide" service, seemingly without
any particular clauses as to the speed or various limitations (such as
throttling) they impose upon said traffic.

Good deal for Bell, crap deal for any local DSL customers though.

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 11:07 PM, Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>   I'm not a P2P user, but this is the thin edge of the wedge. At
>  http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20080325.wgtinternet26/BNStory/Technology/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20080325.wgtinternet26
>
>  > Bell Canada spokesman Jason Laszlo said the company has every right
>  > to limit the amount of bandwidth certain applications can consume
>  > on its networks and those it rents to third-party ISPs.
>
>   Bell has a partnership deal with Microsoft.  As a matter of fact,
>  http://sympatico.ca redirects to http://sympatico.msn.ca/
>
>   Put on your tinfoil for a moment.  MS has enough money to make it
>  worth while for Bell to selectively restrict Firefox, whilst letting IE
>  go whole hog.
>
>  --
>  Walter Dnes <waltdnes-SLHPyeZ9y/tg9hUCZPvPmw at public.gmane.org>
>  Stop the Squeegee Kids in Pinstripe Suits
>  Fight SAC's Canadian internet tax http://walterdnes.wordpress.com
>

> --
>  The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>  TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2
(647) 302-0942