leasing linux laptops

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 26 14:03:45 UTC 2008

On Wed, Mar 26, 2008 at 06:00:13AM -0400, Scott Allen wrote:
> Well, at home I'm strictly on dial-up so a functioning modem would be
> somewhat important to me. Since most laptops don't include a serial
> port these days, using an external modem becomes more complicated,
> not to mention inconvenient.
>
> Some ISPs offer a fixed amount of dial-up time. This can be used to
> get you by if your high speed link is having temporary problems.

The most reliable way to get a modem to work with linux on a laptop is
to get a good old fashioned PCMCIA modem that works with Linux.  The T61
has both a PCMCIA and an expresscard slot, much to my surprise.

> In a business environment, the ability to send the occasional fax
> might be useful.
>
> The winmodem in my Thinkpad T22, which has a Lucent chipset, works
> fine with Linux.
>
> For the T61, it's possible that the following drivers may work (but
> for all the features, you would have to pay):
> <http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/>

Certainly some people say that it does in fact work.  So there is a way
to make it work (14.4 modem for free, 56k and fax for $20).  It also
qualifies as not supported by linux in my mind.  If I needed a modem I
would go find a pcmcia modem.

I guess for a laptop an external modem + usb serial port is just a bit
on the inconvinient side. :)

--
Len Sorensen