VGA output from my laptop

John Fruhwirth johnfruh-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 26 04:40:21 UTC 2008

Hi Colin,

Thanks for offering your help in solving my problem with getting my VGA out
to work.

Here is what I have for the relavent sections in xorg.conf...

Section "Device"
    Identifier    "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility U1"
    Driver        "ati"
    BusID        "PCI:1:5:0"
EndSection

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier    "Generic Monitor"
    Option        "DPMS"
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier    "Default Screen"
    Device        "ATI Technologies Inc Radeon Mobility U1"
    Monitor        "Generic Monitor"
    DefaultDepth    24
    SubSection "Display"
        Modes        "1280x800"
    EndSubSection
EndSection

Now, one of the things I learned is that I may have to replace the "ATI"
driver with a thing called* fglrx *and that* aticonfig *does this for me.
I also seem to have* flglrx-control *installed (a Control panel for the ATI
graphics accelerators) but I don't know how to access it.
It does not seem to have a GUI and if it does, I can't find it in either
System-> Admin or Applications.

Yes, I do know that there is a GUI in System>Admin Called Screens & Graphics
but I don't know if this is the ATI control panel. I don't think it is
because there is no reference to ATI anywhere in it.

I also tried your suggestion of using *aticonfig *and got this back...*

*johnfruh at eMachine:~$ aticonfig --initial --input=/etc/X11/xorg.conf
Uninitialised file found, configuring.
Using /etc/X11/xorg.conf
Saved back-up to /etc/X11/xorg.conf.original-1
aticonfig: *Writing to '/etc/X11/xorg.conf' failed. Bad file descriptor.

*Huh? What does *Bad file descriptor *mean with respect to xorg.conf?  How
can xorg.conf have a *Bad file descriptor?*
So, again, I'm stumped.  What do I do now?

...John
*
*