Linux Printing: Still Awful After All These Years

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Wed Mar 26 01:26:50 UTC 2008

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| Well the few brother printers I have ever worked with were about like
| that.  They claim to be compatible with HP such and such, except they
| aren't compatible with the margins so things print offset with bits cut
| off, etc.  Crappy products is my opinion.

I find them reasonble and inexpensive.  In fact, it is often cheaper
to buy a new one than replace the toner cartridge with a genuine
cartridge.

For example: http://cty.ca/Specials_CTY_Weekly.asp
$29.99 after rebate for a Brother HL 2030.  (Taxes make that price not
accurate.)
I have not used a 2030 but I have used a bunch of other models.

Cheap laser printers no longer emulate HP printers i.e. PCL is not
longer the standard printer command set.  This has been true for many
years.

For Brother HL-1435 printers.  It works pretty well when I tell CUPS
that it is an HL-1250.  I've told the printer database maintainers
this years ago but no update has appeared on my system.

A year ago I bought a Brother printer that can do duplex printing
(print on both sides of the page) and has BR Script (Postscript
clone).  $100 -- pretty hard to beat.

I must admit that my own printer is an off-lease Lexmark printer that
Clifford got me.  He posted earlier about these printers.  I don't use
its token ring network interface :-)