shakedown by chinese domain registrars ??

Robert P. J. Day rpjday-L09J2beyid0N/H6P543EQg at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 25 16:40:28 UTC 2008

On Tue, 25 Mar 2008, Dave Mason wrote:

> I have a completely different take on this.
>
> I see this as a very conscientious domain registrar aware of
> possible scams and wanting to avoid getting their clients in
> trouble.

  that's not their job -- their job is to register domains, nothing
more.  if domain registrars had the freedom to arbitrarily start
contacting other organizations for whatever reason during the
registration process, i can imagine some very funny games being
played.

  say i run a linux training company called "supertux training," and i
have a good buddy who works for the local domain registrar.  i quietly
ask him to watch for any incoming requests that might affect my
business, and he does.  one day, he gets a request for the domain
"linuxeducation.com" for a new company in town.  he quickly mentions
that to me, and asks whether i want to swoop in quickly and he'll
register it for me first, and that's what happens.

  that new company, a bit puzzled as to how a domain that was
available this morning is suddenly registered this afternoon, tries
again with "linuxcourses.com".  same warning, same deal.  quite
simply, the registrar is playing favourites, which should be illegal.

  even with the best of intentions, that's what the chinese registrar
is doing.  he's taking a good-faith request for a domain registration,
and letting someone else jump the queue for it.  IMHO, that kind of
behaviour should be grounds for revoking someone's registration
privileges.

rday

Robert P. J. Day
    Have classroom, will lecture.