shakedown by chinese domain registrars ??

Dave Cramer davec-zxk95TxsVYDyHADnj0MGvQC/G2K4zDHf at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 25 02:32:15 UTC 2008

I have a commercial entity which has a domain name. Recently I've had
two emails from different domain registrars in china.

The story goes like this.

Dear Sir

We have recently received an application from xyz company in China
wishing to register visible-assets.cn .... We have done our due
diligence and have noticed that you have a trademark on visible-
assets.com. Please email or phone us if you have objections to xyz
company using your trademark.

I emailed and received a reply (verbatim below)

During the auditing process, we have found that Heiyee company is not
the owner of the domain name "Visible-assets.com". So we e-mail to you
for confirming that whether you have consigned Heiyee company to
register these domain names. If you have no relationship with them.
According to our working experience, there are 3 possibilities:
1. Heiyee company is a domain name investment company, they want to
register these names before you and sell back to you to gain profits.
2. It may be a commercial method, Heiyee company is consigned by your
competitor to register, make your clients confused.
3. Heiyee company register the domain for imitating you web. And
invade some market of you or link to some illegal porno webs or sell
to your competitors.

Because domain name takes open registration, this is international
domain name registration principle. So Heiyee company has right to
register it. As a domain name registrar, we have no right to dispute
their application. therefor,Government request us to audit and record
the application during the process of registration. If the original
owner company of the domain names have no objection for the
registration, we could register the domain names for the Heiyee
company.what is you opinion regarding this case?

I see a possible 4th option and it is that this registrar is trying to
scare me into registering the domain with them to drum up business.

Anyone else seeing this happen ?

Dave