The next big social networking tool is... Thunderbird?

Phillip Mills phillip.mills1-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 24 18:01:23 UTC 2008

----- Message from sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org ---------

> I am experimenting with a web log, and I am finding out what a
> numbers game all of this is.

I guess there's something in that for people who want social marketing
rather than networking.  The situation I see is people who just want to
share their experience of living with a far-flung group of friends
(where 'friend' is a variable position on a set of scales representing
different areas of interest) using media that's beyond what we expect a
list-server to handle.

I have blog-style writings on-line as well as things that aren't quite
so volatile such as biographical and contact information of different
types, along with photos and music.  Those are scattered over at least
six sites at the moment, but there's nothing but information osmosis to
clue someone who liked my pictures (for example) that I might also have
a photography filter on another site.  Especially if it's someone who
has stumbled over the photos, rather than a person I know in Real Life.

I seriously don't care about competitive blogging, but I'd like a more
holistic way of organizing information than by content type and a
better way of communicating its existence.