Converting to shared object compilation from static (WAS: installing fung-calc on ubuntu)

Paul King sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 23 12:52:05 UTC 2008

Thanks, Andrej,for your help so far. Now at least I have a Makefile.

However, when doing "make" now, it is complaining about a whole series
of missing static libraries (usually the shared object exists). So far,
I was able to valiantly fight through all the static lib requirements
that I could by finding a source from somewhere, compiling it and
installing it, until I came across a new error: It wanted libstdc++.la

My conclusion is that the designer wanted a static lib for everything.
libstdc++ does not appear easy to install or compile,  by the gcc source
documentation. I think that the easier route here would be to now try
and see if it is possible to compile fung-calc using only shared
objects.

Has anyone had to do this, and how hard/easy is this? I don't see this
as an option for ./configure. However, it does have --enable-shared,
which only *builds* shared object libraries (I'm not too concerned about
that).

Paul King