Re-partitioning/dual boot with Vista

John McGregor mr.mcgregor-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 20 15:14:38 UTC 2008

Giles Orr wrote:

<snip>
> The system comes with Vista Home Premium.  I'm not planning on using
> it much, but I'd like to keep it.  Does anyone have experience with
> resizing a Vista partition and dual booting?  I'm hoping it's
> essentially the same as working with an XP system: you resize the
> partition using a Linux partition editor from Knoppix (or equivalent),
> you reboot, you install (Debian).  No big deal.  Any quirks to doing
> this with Vista?

I used this tutorial (that I found through a link in the Mepis forums)
that shows how to use the partition resizing tools contained in Vista.
Apparently Microsoft has done something fairly obtuse with Vista in that
it does not react well to being resized with qtparted or gparted.
Whether this is true or not I don't know, but this method worked very well.

http://apcmag.com/5046/how_to_dual_boot_vista_with_linux_vista_installed_first

John