[OT] One terabyte drive

Dave Mason dmason-bqArmZWzea/GcjXNFnLQ/w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 17 13:09:58 UTC 2008

Even though painful, I find myself drawn into this "I've wasted more
money on minimal computing than you"...

In about 1978 I spend $15,000 on a 64Kbyte Z-80 system with 2 1.4Mb
floppies and a daisy-wheel printer.  It had about the same power as the
IBM 1130 that I had been using at university 6 years earlier and cost
about the monthly rental of that IBM 1130.

In the early 80s I spent a similar amount on a PDP-11/40 with about
twice as much everything and a tape drive, and this lived in my basement
for a while.

Later in the 80s I bought a National Semiconductor single-board computer
running Unix for more like $4000, then a series of Linux machines, and
now a Linux server and a bunch of Macs at home, with the most recent a
MacBook Air.  All in, between my company, my research grants and
personally, I've probably spent about $60,000 over the last 30 years for
machines that were essentially personal workstations - $2000 per year.  *Sigh*

../Dave