[OT] One terabyte drive

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 17 03:39:53 UTC 2008

> Not quite in the same league, but in the early 90's I spent over $200
> to upgrade my 4M 486/66 system to 8M (so, an additional 4M) so it
> would run dBase IV under DOS for a client project (anyone remember
> extended memory?). I earned $250 on the project which paid for the
> extra memory, and also allowed me to run OS/2 faster, so that worked
> out.

Back in the 70's the core memory for a PDP-12 was $1 per word. The memory
bits apparently were magnetic donuts hand-threaded by workers in Mexico.
So an additional 4k words of memory would have cost $4096, back when that
was a substantial portion of my annual salary. If you wanted compiler
error messages, you had to buy this extra memory. Otherwise, all you got
was the one word 'NO' in the middle of the screen.

I do miss the flashing lights, but not having to manually toggle in a
loader program.

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto