Samsung printing fixed, maybe

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 14 20:29:35 UTC 2008

Gabriel -

I found two keys to this problem:

1. Use the HP Laserjet driver, not the Samsung driver. This  may have
something to do with the fact that laserjet support is built into
ghostscript. There is no support in ghostscript for the Samsung ML-2250.

2. Execute the magic incantation 'sudo aa-complain cupsd'. This disables
some new security features in the cups software that do not work properly.

Based on the traffic in the Ubuntu forums, this is a bug that affects a
whole range of printers, not just my Samsung ML-2250 unit. So it's a
Ubuntu bug, not a Samsung problem.

Now the question: I'd like this 'sudo aa-complain cupsd' command to
execute automatically. I tried putting it in .profile, where it gets
executed at logon, and that doesn't work. I then put it in .bashrc, which
gets executed with each new subshell (and, I guess, each new invocation of
an application) and that appears to work. However, it also prompts me for
a password every time I create an xterm. Any ideas on how to avoid that?

Thanks...

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto