Linux Printing: Still Awful After All These Years

phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org phiscock-g851W1bGYuGnS0EtXVNi6w at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 14 19:18:33 UTC 2008

>> My Suse 9.2 printer installation was a nightmare and Ubuntu 7.1 seems
>> much  the same. (In both cases the Samsung printer had to be spoofed as a
>> Laserjet to work.)

> So don't use crappy unsupported hardware.

1. Here's what the linux foundation open printing page says about Samsung:
Samsung 2250
BW laser printer, works Perfectly

2. Ubuntu by puts the Samsung ML-2250 in its configuration list of
printers, doesn't that imply that they support it?

3. Samsung include Linux print drivers in their distribution CD, which
also implies support from Samsung.

So we have the situation where some printers that do *not* supply linux
drivers in fact work better than some printers that do.  Go figure.

--
Peter Hiscocks
Syscomp Electronic Design Limited, Toronto