MS office & Open office compatibility issue

Howard Gibson hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 14 14:35:46 UTC 2008

On Mon, 10 Mar 2008 09:38:34 -0400
Henry de Valence <hdevalence-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> In my opinion, LaTeX is much easier to use than MS Word or OOo or
> KWord for KDE3. You just type your text and it does all the formatting for
> you. It's just that the command line is a bit intimidating to some. I'm sure
> there are good LaTeX gui programs out there though.

Henry,

   I use LaTeX too, when I get a chance, but very few other people do.  When I am part of a work group, Microsoft Word is the lingua franca.

   A big problem with Open Office is that it copied its stylesheet's functionality from Microsoft Word.  If you ever get a chance to try ApplixWare, do so.  The style sheet is user friendly, and very clear about what it is doing.  This product appears to be back on the market.  The review by Bruce Byfield is rather negative, however, I am pretty sure ApplixWare supports master documents.  I am less sure about the Motif GUI and the lack of anti-aliased fonts.

--
Howard Gibson
hgibson-MwcKTmeKVNQ at public.gmane.org
howardg-PadmjKOQAFn3fQ9qLvQP4Q at public.gmane.org