[OT] One terabyte drive

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 11 13:31:10 UTC 2008

It's also funny when I think of the several large institutions I've
worked at or attended, that in years not long past, would have
considered a few hundred gigs a generous amount of storage (for their
entire userbase). Nowadays I know people who actually do use several
Terabytes in just personal storage. One friend of mine has his whole
movie collection (legitimately purchased) re-archived from DVD to a
network-accessible storage system which is accessible through his
media-server.

For many people I know, the ease of X-box modification into a
media-centre made the desirability of massive amounts of storage
suddenly desirable. I wonder what we'll be fitting onto our Petabyte
arrays sometime in the not-too-far future...

Still, I feel sorry for those that buy a singular huge drive and then
have it go poof all with their data (I'm looking at *you* Maxtor). At
least with most my collector-friends they're smart enough to RAID the
drives, so I suppose that in reality those 3 TB drives are only
storing about 1.5GB or so when using RAID-5 etc.

On Tue, Mar 11, 2008 at 8:54 AM, sciguy <sciguy-Ja3L+HSX0kI at public.gmane.org> wrote:

>  It boggles the mind that it would take a hundred thousand 10 meg drives to
>  have the same storage as a 1TB drive. The day was not too far off when the
>  prospect of owning a TB of storage was almost inconceivable. And now,
>  they're even falling in price. 100GB drives are now considered small (or at
>  least middling), which is still 10,000x the capacity of a 10 MB drive.
>
>  I think if I add up all my drives in the house, I may have just over 1.5
>  TB.
>
>  Paul
>

>  On Tue, 11 Mar 2008 08:36:08 -0400, Stephen <stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>  > I picked up an external one at Future Shop for 229 plus taxes.
>  >
>  > I was thinking about a terabyte compared to the 10 meg drives in the IBM
>  > XT.
>  >
>  > Five zeros difference!
>  >
>  > Stephen
>  > --
>  > The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>  > TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns
>  > How to UNSUBSCRIBE: http://gtalug.org/wiki/Mailing_lists
>
>  --
>  The Toronto Linux Users Group.      Meetings: http://gtalug.org/
>  TLUG requests: Linux topics, No HTML, wrap text below 80 columns

Tyler Aviss
Systems Support
LPIC/LPIC-2
(647) 302-0942