Looking for Computer Parts store run by Jawas

Colin McGregor colinmc151-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 8 04:14:01 UTC 2008

--- Kamran <linuxdarkstar-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Colin McGregor wrote:
> > --- Kamran <linuxdarkstar-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org> wrote:

> >> part of the general
> >> stores run by Jawas.
> >> http://www.starwars.com/databank/species/jawa/
> >
> > I recognized the reference instantly, the small
> > creatures who would trade/deal in almost any sort
> of
> > used hardware ... such as robots.
> >
> > Jawas also served as good target practice for
> Imperial
> > Stormtroopers in the first (or is that the
> fourth?)
> > Star Wars movie... They were used as target
> practice
> > because they had been dealing in used hardware,
> namely
> > robots wanted by the Empire.
> >
> > I trust it was the first role that you were
> thinking
> > of rather than the second ...
> >

> > Colin McGregor
>
> Definitely the first.  However apparently according
> to the Star Wars
> site Jawas are a bit shady not unlike some of the
> computer dealers I
> have dealt with in the past.

Well, back in 1996 I work for a brief time as a sales
person for a local non-name brand PC dealer... The
issue then (and if anything it has likely gotten
worse) is that GOOD margin on a typical no-name PC was
about 10%. Out of that 10% they had to pay the staff,
retail rent, power, heat, light, etc... Yes, the firm
in question did cut some corners, namely post assembly
testing was basicly zero, to stay in business they had
to...

Still, they would deliver what they said they would
deliver in their ads.. So, IF you knew what you were
doing, understood the trade-offs and were a little
patient (if your system had a problem when you got it
home they would fix it... but that would take a bit of
time) you could get a fantastic deal.

Put another way, I still do CONDITIONALLY recommend my
former employer as place to buy PCs...

Colin McGregor