Poll; Tape drives

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 7 23:05:40 UTC 2008

Evan Leibovitch wrote:
> Madison Kelly wrote:
>
>> Off-list I was speaking to a friend who works in IT at a big company,
>> and she also voted for tapes, saying that in large scale environments
>> "it's the way to go".
>>
>> It surprises me, in a way. I was expecting to hear grumblings that tape
>> was a necessary evil, but apparently it is still a preferred solution in
>> larger situations.
>
> Being preferred doesn't mean it's the technically best -- or least
> expensive -- or most reliable choice.
>
> Madison, you've been working with Linux for a while now. Therefore, you
> should already be painfully aware of the immense power of inertia and
> fear of the unknown, and its effect on IT decision-making ;-).
>
> - Evan

Haha, true!

   That is a big reason why I am so willing to walk away from "large"
potential customers. I know that many would write my program off right
off the bat, simply for being "new". Truth be told though, I can't blame
people. I would never ask someone whose neck is on the line to trust any
new program, let alone mine.

   I guess what I am getting at is; I suspect (hope?) that people with
more modest needs will consider my program, and then from there it will
"trickle up" as it matures over the years. By the time it would be
considered for use in a big company it will have had a lot of time to
grow which, in turn, will let me see what demands there are for
features, including hardware support.

   Lennart's email talks about those customers, whom I don't suspect
will give me the time of day for years to come. So for now, I think I
will focus on the smaller shops and soho to start building a user base for.

Madi