Boot Problem after Crash

Tony Abou-Assaleh taa-HInyCGIudOg at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 7 20:56:21 UTC 2008

--
major	minor	#blocks	name
8	0	xxx	sda

I omitted the block counts. sda1 is the boot partition, and sda2 is the
raid container. When I run the same command from the recovery shell, I
get 2 additional entries:

--
253	0	xxx	dm-0
253	1	xxx	dm-1

Where dm-0 is the swap partition and dm-1 is the root partition.

--
Personalities : [raid1]
md0 : active raid1 sda2[0]

unused devices: <none>
--

> Perhaps you can find out what root is called and change the boot loader
> to use root= whatever that is.
>
> I do everything in the boot loader and fstab by UUID these days just to
> avoid this kind of hassle.

I changed it to use root=UUID=xxx in the grub menu.lst, same thing.

> The other option is that your initramfs only loaded the driver modules
> needed by the old machine and not the ones for the new one, although
> most I have seen recently (in debian at least) try to load pretty much
> everything.  Is the new machine perhaps too new or simply not supported
> by your linux version?

I can boot fine from a live CD, so the machine is linux compatible. I
was able to connect to the Internet, start apache and sshd manually, and
connect to them from another machine.

Also I ran update-initramfs on the new machine, so again that's not
likely to be the problem.

It looks like the raid volume is recognized during the boot sequence,
but the partitions within it are not. Any ideas?

Cheers,

TAA

--
Tony Abou-Assaleh