Poll; Tape drives

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 7 18:42:26 UTC 2008

Madison Kelly wrote:

> Off-list I was speaking to a friend who works in IT at a big company,
> and she also voted for tapes, saying that in large scale environments
> "it's the way to go".
>
> It surprises me, in a way. I was expecting to hear grumblings that tape
> was a necessary evil, but apparently it is still a preferred solution in
> larger situations.

Being preferred doesn't mean it's the technically best -- or least
expensive -- or most reliable choice.

Madison, you've been working with Linux for a while now. Therefore, you
should already be painfully aware of the immense power of inertia and
fear of the unknown, and its effect on IT decision-making ;-).

- Evan