Dovecot and IMAPS

Fri Mar 7 03:23:42 UTC 2008

On Thu, Mar 06, 2008 at 09:21:07PM -0500, Julian C. Dunn wrote:
> On Wed, 27 Feb 2008, William O'Higgins Witteman wrote:
>
>> The problem is, when I point dovecot at the key and the crt file
>> (containing the block of text) I get an error in the dovecot log:
>>
>> dovecot: 2008-02-27 10:38:38 Error: imap-login: Can't load private key
>> file /etc/ssl/private/$mydomain.key: error:0B080074:x509
>> certificate routines:X509_check_private_key:key values mismatch
>>
>> I've done some poking around, and sometimes this is caused by trailing
>> spaces in the file, but that hasn't happened here.  Something I notice
>> is that the default, unsigned key pair has the extension .pem, rather
>> than .crt or .key.  Unfortunately, I'm out of my depth on this one, and
>> help would be appreciated.  Thanks.
>
> Are both files in fact in PEM format?

No, but dovecot converts to PEM when using SSL certs.  The problem was
that the crt that was returned to me, signed by the CA, was screwed up
in some way, because I have never gotten it to work.  Conveniently,
GoDaddy, which has a pretty poor reputation, is selling cert signing for
$15/year, which was cheap enough to try again.  That cert works fine, so
my problem has been worked around.  Thanks for taking a look at it
though.
--

yours,

William