Poll; Tape drives

Julian C. Dunn lists-JN5fZfbfKAtWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Fri Mar 7 02:16:58 UTC 2008

On Thu, 28 Feb 2008, Lennart Sorensen wrote:

>> I still use tapes. My home backup system is a DLT7000 drive, whose tapes
>> I take off-site (to the office). That said, I do realize that for most
>> home users, tape is exorbitantly expensive. I got this system
>> second-hand and if I had to buy all the tapes again at $40 apiece (new)
>> the media would cost me $600 alone -- enough to buy 10 hard disks.
>>
>> Tape is still good for enterprise use though and I don't see it going
>> away there.
>
> If you look at what companies like quantum are doing, it seems they are
> all getting into harddisk based backup systems.  Tape simply costs too
> much and isn't reliable enough to justify anymore.

I have to challenge your assertion that it "isn't reliable enough to
justify". Tape will last you decades if it's properly stored. Plus, unlike
keeping a pile of disks powered on, there are no operational costs in
terms of power, cooling, etc. If you have terabytes (or even petabytes) of
data, it is not economical to back up to disks especially if that data is
infrequently accessed.

It's true that virtual tape library technology is becoming very attractive
and many companies are implementing it, but ultimately, that data does
(and ought to) get written to tape.

- Julian

[ Julian C. Dunn <jdunn-JN5fZfbfKAtWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org>  *  "You can throw confetti,   ]
[ WWW: www.aquezada.com/staff/julian   *  but you're still going     ]
[ PGP: 91B3 7A9D 683C 7C16 715F        *  through the motions, baby" ]
[      442C 6065 D533 FDC2 05B9        *                - Aimee Mann ]