Yet Another iPod Question

JoeHill joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org
Thu Mar 6 05:44:27 UTC 2008

John Moniz wrote:

> [...]
> > firewire id.
> >
> > The 1st one is mostly automated. First, make sure you have libsgutils
> > installed before running configure/autogen.sh. If you built libgpod without
> > it, install it and run configure/make/make install. You should now have an
> > ipod-read-sysinfo-extended tool available. Run it with the iPod device path
> > (eg /dev/sda) and the iPod mount point (eg /mnt/ipod) as arguments. This may
> > require root privileges. ipod-read-sysinfo-extended will read an XML
> > file from the iPod and write it as
> > /mnt/ipod/iPod_Control/Device/SysInfoExtended. See
> > http://ipodlinux.org/Device_Information for more details about the method
> > used. Having that file is enough for libgpod to figure out the iPod
> > firewire id.
> >
> > The 2nd method requires more manual intervention. First, you need to get
> > your firewire id manually. To do that, run "sudo lsusb -v | grep -i
> > Serial" (without the "") with your iPod plugged in, this should print a 16
> > character long string like 00A1234567891231. For an iPod Touch, this number
> > will be much longer than 16 characters, the firewire ID is constituted by
> > the first 16 characters. Once you have that number,
> > create/edit /mnt/ipod/iPod_Control/Device/SysInfo (if your iPod is mounted
> > at /mnt/ipod). Add to that file the line below: FirewireGuid:
> > 0xffffffffffffffff (replace ffffffffffffffff with the string you obtained
> > at the previous step and don't forget the trailing 0x before the string)
> > Save that file, and you should be all set. Be careful when using apps which
> > lets you manually specify which iPod model you own, they may overwrite that
> > file when you do that. So if after doing that libgpod still seems to write
> > invalid content to the iPod, double-check the content of that SysInfo file
> > to make sure the FirewireGuid line you added isn't gone. If that happens,
> > readd it to the end of the file, and make sure libgpod rewrite the iPod
> > content.
> >
> > Once that is done, if you compiled libgpod from source, you can test that
> > libgpod can find the firewire ID on your iPod by running
> > libgpod/tests/test-firewire-id /ipod/mount/point"
> >

> > Building from source (not nearly as difficult as you might think, and a lot
> > of benefits):
> >
> > 0. Install libmp4v2-devel so that gtkpod is build with support for...well,
> > mp4.
> >
> > 1. Grab libgpod svn:
> >
> > svn co https://gtkpod.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gtkpod/libgpod/trunk
> > libgpod
> >
> > *Important* read the README.sysinfo file and follow the instructions.
> >
> > ...then build and install the usual way (I used ./configure --prefix=/usr)
> >
> > 2. Grab gtkpod svn:
> >
> > svn co https://gtkpod.svn.sourceforge.net/svnroot/gtkpod/gtkpod/trunk gtkpod
> >
> > ...and build and install the usual way.
> >

> > If you have any trouble, or I've missed something, do not hesitate to ask
> > me, I've been through this frustration myself :-)

This was mostly copied and pasted from the posts between Chris Aitken and I a
while back. He had exactly the same problem with a new Nano for his daughter :-)

> I'll only be able to do so much until I can get back to London. She and her
> roomate are behind a router and I haven't set up port forwarding (???) to be
> able to ssh to her PC. I've never done it before. However, I think I can get
> her to find libgpod and tell me what version she has. I doubt the newest
> packages are in the default depositories, but I think I can get her to add
> the depositories you listed above to her own list.
>
> It certainly would have been nice if I was able to SSH to her PC.

It's especially nice on Debian/Ubuntu, as software can be very easily managed
from the command line.

> Thanks again. This is good information to have.

No problem, I went through exactly the same thing back in September with my
iPod Classic. So much anticipation, such a sweet device, get it home
and...oooooooh. Luckily, the Amarok and libgpod hackers had cracked Apple's new
encryption scheme for the itunes database just a day or so before, but for a
few hours I was feeling some pretty serious disappointment.

--
JoeHill