ASUS EEE with 8.9 inch screen at Cebit 2008

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Tue Mar 4 15:07:28 UTC 2008

On Mon, Mar 03, 2008 at 09:17:03PM -0500, ted leslie wrote:
> http://www.tigerdirect.ca/applications/searchtools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3523905&body=MAIN#detailspecs
>
> i love the Eee i just got to , at 400$
> I got some tiger direct junk mail today and checked it out,
> and , well for 200$ more ... that lenovo just blows the Eee away,
> but maybe its a limited lost leader sale.
>
> I think the Eee is more durable, but i am having real difficultly with the keyboard,
> i type fast and it simply doesn't seem to capture all my strokes on it.
>
> I was thinking of getting a 2nd Eee for my wife, as she like the Eee i just bought,
> but the lenovo for 600$ ... its going to be very hard to pass up.

Somehow comparing a 15.4" standard laptop against an ultra portable with
everything squished into almost no space just isn't fair.  The Eee is
much smaller and easier to carry in your bag with you at all times,
unlike a giant laptop like that (and 15.4" laptops are giant, now that
my wife switched to the 13" tablet. :)  The Eee is also solid state disk
rather than a harddrive which makes it more durable (and a lot smaller
in disk space).  Hard to compare though.  A 16GB solid state disk can
cost $500 which would already make the laptop cost a lot more given the
disk it comes with is close to $100.  I guess the 4GB in the Eee is
probably ssimilar in cost to the 160GB drive if you bought it
seperately (Asus likely pays a lot less).

--
Len Sorensen