OT - Cellphone billing

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Mon Mar 3 12:45:12 UTC 2008

Dave Mason wrote:
> James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
>

>> FWIW, I have my personal phone on Rogers and work cell phone on Telus.
>> There is no comparison between the two.  Rogers has much better call
>> quality.
>>

> Just to muddy the waters further, I've just switched from Rogers to
> Telus and couldn't be happier.  Also, outside Ontario, I think you'll
> find *much* better coverage woth CDMA phones (Bell or Telus).  I have
> noticed very spotty service in Quebec and the Maritimes with Rogers if
> you're anywhere but on the TransCanada.
>
> CDMA is also supposed to be technically superior to GSM, although GSM
> seems to be dominant outside North America.

Technically superior in what way?  IIRC, CDMA provides better spectrum
use, but GSM uses more bits for encoding the voice, which results in
better audio quality.  However, it's been a while since I read the book
on cell phone technology.  A strong signal doesn't get you much, if the
audio quality is poor.  Also, coverage has nothing to do with
technology.  That depends on where the carrier wants to spend their
money.  Rogers and Bell also have the choice of two bands, which gives
them more flexibility for coverage, than Telus, which has only the high
band to work with (At least in this part of the country.  It may be
different out west, where Telus was the principal phone company.  Rogers
has both bands available across the entire country.).  The lower 800 MHz
band tends to have better range than the 1900 MHz band.  This situation
goes back to the days when there were only two carriers in each region,
that shared the low band.  In Ontario & Quebec, it's Bell and Rogers.
Out west it was Telus and Rogers.