another aes-loopback question -- /tmp directory

Mike Oliver moliver-fC0AHe2n+mcIvw5+aKnW+Pd9D2ou9A/h at public.gmane.org
Sun Mar 2 22:40:23 UTC 2008

Wonder if anyone else has thought about this.
I would like to put my $HOME directory on an
encrypted partition, but leave /, /usr/bin, etc
unencrypted, so as to be able to boot up without
the passphrase in certain situations (e.g. giving
someone a guest login).  I have most of it figured
out, but I'm not sure what to do with /tmp.

What I would like to do is make /tmp a symlink
to something in $HOME.  But the problem is that
I want to make $HOME a manual mount (mainly because
if you do automount, it prompts you for the passphrase
at boot time and echoes it to the screen).  So
I would be booting with /tmp as a broken symlink,
and I won't have "orbit" files and so on (using KDE).
Does anyone know whether these things can be fixed
*after* starting KDE?  Similar questions, I suppose,
for $HOME/Desktop and /var.