OT - Cellphone billing

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Sat Mar 1 21:23:20 UTC 2008

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: James Knott <james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>
>
> | On my bill, it's $2.80/month.  As I mentioned in another message, poverty
> | activists demanded a cheaper pulse line, regardless of any costs involved.
> | Also, IIRC, touch tones are not a tariffed item, so it's easier for Bell to
> | change the price.  It's long past the time the CRTC should have rolled touch
> | tone dialing into basic service.
>
> There was a tariff proposal before the CRTC to do just that.  Everyone
> would pay the $2.80.  I and a horde of little old ladies wrote in to
> the CRTC to protest that we didn't want to pay for touch tone.  The
> CRTC kept the existing regime.

So, grandfather those little old ladies and the pulse lines. As the
pulse lines get canceled, they're gone for good.
> I doubt that it had anything to do with poverty activists.  Poor folks
> cannot get pulse-only lines.  Only folks that already have them.

They do make a lot of noise, whenever it comes up. As I said above,
grandfather the pulse lines at the old rate and make touch tone the new
basic service.

> I would agree with eliminating the tariff, but not just adding it to
> everyones bill.

Once it's part of basic service, some adjustment will hopefully occur.