Recovery procedures of NTFS filesystem

Robert Brockway robert-5LEc/6Zm6xCUd8a0hrldnti2O/JbrIOy at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 30 14:47:58 UTC 2008

On Mon, 30 Jun 2008, Jamon Camisso wrote:

> Ah, right, that's because it is ext3 now. If the installer ran mkfs.ext3 then
> the data is pretty much gone. Recovering the partition table wouldn't get it
> back either unfortunately. Sorry to have instilled false hope :(

Not necessarily.  The data is largely untouched but all the references are
gone.  There are tools which will scan the disk itself and attempt to
recover files or pieces of files.  I've run these on ex-NTFS filesystems
before.  I can't promise success but there are things to try.  Don't
expect this to be quick - one tool I used scanned an 300GB NTFS disk for
many hours.

William, the key is to not do anything else to the disk (reparition again,
or whatever) without careful thought.  I can't remember the name of the
tool I used last time but I'll see if I can remember.

Rob

--
"With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine..."
 	-- RFC 1925 "The Twelve Networking Truths"