[Fwd: Openmoko Neo Freerunner Group Order]

Christopher Browne cbbrowne-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Sun Jun 29 04:45:20 UTC 2008

On Sat, Jun 28, 2008 at 11:41 AM, JoeHill <joehill-R6A+fiHC8nRWk0Htik3J/w at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Robert P. J. Day wrote:
>
>> as evan points out, just cuz something runs linux shouldn't automatically
>> make its purchase a no-brainer.
>
> c'mon, someone says 'linux toaster' and you'd be _so_ there, admit it ;)

I'm afraid I have been disappointed by this too many times, starting
with the Agenda / VR3.  It looked like a Palm Pilot, ran Linux on MIPS
with 16MB of memory, and *seemed* promising.  Unfortunately, the
"sync" offered only worked with Windows95; there was no "Linux
interoperability."

Evan mention the Zaurus; that had enough resources to be more
plausibly "general purpose," but in practice, syncing data between
desktop and PDA never played out as easily as has *long* been the case
with the proprietary PalmOS using the Kadak AMX kernel.

To this day, it's easier to sync a PalmOS PDA against Linux-based apps
than pretty well anything else.

After being bitten enough times...
"The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and
expecting different results." -- assortedly attributed to Albert
Einstein, Benjamin Franklin, Rita Mae Brown, and Rudyard Kipling