Ubuntu 8.04, bad response time when HDD active

D. Hugh Redelmeier hugh-pmF8o41NoarQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 26 02:44:17 UTC 2008

| From: Lennart Sorensen <lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org>

| If it is 2.6.24, then well, use something else, it seems to hate a lot
| of intel chipsets.  2.6.22 or 2.6.25 seems fine.

Interesting.

My freshly-updated Ubuntu 8.04 is running 2.6.24.  I seem to have -16,
-17, -18, and -19 in /boot.

My freshly-updated Fedora 9 has only 2.6.25 kernels in /boot.

On Ubuntu 8.04, I'm experiencing a problem that might be related to
support for Intel chipsets.  I have not tried Fedora 9 on the same
machine:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24/+bug/229467

This might be the same issue as:
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-restricted-modules-2.6.24/+bug/224404