Dedicated Servers + Scalable Web Architectures

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 23 20:27:34 UTC 2008

R.T. wrote:
> Given:
> - "I am looking into building a new "Web 2.0" web site"
> - "I lack experience in the large-scale/high-performance realm."
> - "I expect(hope?) the site to get really popular, really quickly, and
> so I need to be prepared to handle lots of hits and quick data
> retrieval."
>
> You should:
> - Sign-up with http://aws.amazon.com/
> - Spend your time to doing what matters to you ("building a new 'Web
> 2.0' web site", not "tweaking Apache")

I will look into AWS and the Google App Engine. I am concerned about my
intellectual property, ie. would they claim ownership of everything I
host on there? I will have to take a closer look at these services to
see what kind of legal issues are involved with using their services.
Thanks, though, I didn't know about either of them.

> Also:
> If you self-admittedly "lack experience in the
> large-scale/high-performance realm", I'd avoid flamebait like "Ruby on
> Rails doesn't scale--".

Ok, I'm sorry if I've offended anyone. Here is what I intended it to mean:

I admit that my assessment was superficial and I'm open to the
possibility that it may be wrong. I invite you to prove to me that it is
if you believe it to be, and why :) You may just convince me it's the
way to go.

Marc

--
There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any
programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write