Dedicated Servers + Scalable Web Architectures

Marc Lanctot lanctot-yfeSBMgouQgsA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 23 20:21:29 UTC 2008

Madison Kelly wrote:
> Lennart Sorensen wrote:
>> Does anyone actually know what Web 2.0 is besides a silly marketing
>> term?
>
> Glossy icons and Iframes and javascript layering, as far as I can gather.
>
> So no, just a marketing term.

It is a marketing term, but means more than just glossy icons and
javascript layering. I won't go into detail because we have Wikipedia
for that (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_2) but essentially it refers
to this new generation of web sites where there is the potential for (if
not the focus on) mass collaboration / user-contributed content.
Facebook and Wikipedia are good examples of Web 2.0 sites, but there are
so many out there now (IMDB, allrecipes, ...), some of which probably
didn't intend on being part of the Web 2.0 revolution until lots of
users contributed their content in the form of reviews and ratings.

>> Well at least in my expeirence, MySQL doesn't scale.  Unless you almost
>> exclusively read from it it doesn't like lots of users.  Postgresql is
>> much much better that way.  I really have no idea why people always seem
>> to go for mysql first rather than looking into what is available and
>> picking the better choice.
>
> Seconding the recommendation for PostgreSQL over MySQL.
>
> MySQL is fast, that is why it is often chosen. That speed comes at some
> risk though. PostgreSQL is not perfect, but crashing it is less likely
> to result in DB data corruption. I don't mean to get this into a MySQL
> vs. PgSQL argument, others may (will) differ, just take my opinion for
> what it is; one small vote for reliability based on my anecdotal
> experience.
>
> If I can make a suggestion? Don't worry about scalability and such yet.
> 99% of projects never get off the ground. Yours might, but likely it
> will need some time and tweaking. Worrying about high loading and
> availability is like asking to learn about F1 racing as you set out with
> your fresh new driver's license. There are more productive things for
> you to focus on at this point, imho.

Good points, and I am building the web site in my free time. Thanks a
bundle for the info on MySQL.

I am just thinking ahead and want to go into this well-informed :)

Marc

--
There is not now, nor has there ever been, nor will there ever be, any
programming language in which it is the least bit difficult to write