A Perl Chicken-and-egg problem

Madison Kelly linux-5ZoueyuiTZhBDgjK7y7TUQ at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 23 13:56:51 UTC 2008

Lennart Sorensen wrote:
> On Sat, Jun 21, 2008 at 02:58:33PM -0400, Richard Dice wrote:
>> print $#{@$a} . "\n";
>> print $#{@{$a->[$#{@$a}]}} . "\n";
>> print $a->[ $#{@$a} ][ $#{@{$a->[ $#{@$a} ]}} ] . "\n";
>
> And that kind of syntax is why I hate perl more and more as I use it.
> Many languages grow on you with use.  perl does the opposite since the
> more you learn the more you realize what an ugly inconsistent disaster
> of a language it is.  Yuck!

Perl has a particular ability to be made insanely complex, if that is
your goal. That said, it can also be made elegantly clear and simple if,
again, that is your goal.

Please don't trash a language because of ... abuse? ... but some users
of it.

Madi, a mad perl fan who should often simply be ignored.