Low power low end cheap server

Andrew Malcolmson andzy-bYF1QM81rroS+FvcfC7Uqw at public.gmane.org
Wed Jun 18 23:16:06 UTC 2008

On Wed, 18 Jun 2008 09:05:47 -0400, "Giles Orr" <gilesorr-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org>
said:

> For the moment I think the best thing would be to set up one of my
> existing spare computers and see if A) I can build the kind of system
> I want with Linux and get it working properly, and B) see if it
> actually gets used as I'd intended.  If these things happen, then
> maybe I'll consider putting money into it (should have thought of that
> first ...).

If anyone's still following this, a comment: the Via Artigo has been
found to be noisy and the connectors are fragile.

There is a whole category of low power, usually silent motherboard+cpu
products called Single Board Computers, usually with notebook-style
mini-PCI sockets for adding wireless adapters and CompactFlash sockets
for sold-state storage.  The server-oriented models usually don't have
VGA.  Most have USB.  Brand names include PC Engines and Soekris.  The
PC Engines Alix boards are said to run about 4 watts.

This Ottawa retailer carries this kind of thing:

http://www.xagyl.com/catalog/index.php?osCsid=0bc293f228193e44bca776919d5b6a9c

A good distro to run on these boards is the Debian-based Voyage Linux.