[mythtv-gta]: Re:MythTV Frontend Hardware

Colin McGregor colin.mc151-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Tue Jun 17 15:27:11 UTC 2008

Just to follow-up on what I got for a new front end, the good the bad
and the ugly (there is a bit of all the above in the new front end)
here goes:

The good:

- The case, a SilverStone SST-SG02-F in black. Quite nice, a LITTLE
larger than I would consider ideal, but in every other respect I am
happy with this as a case.

- The CPU, an AMD Athlon 64 3200+ AM2 socket using CPU. Low-end,
inexpensive, and just fine for basic front end purposes.

- Memory - 1 GB from a no-name firm, again, nothing to complain about.

The bad:

- ASUS M2N-MX SE PLUS motherboard. Normally I have had great results
with ASUS motherboards, but this one is a stinker. I can not get it to
install KnoppMyth, with error such as:

    BIOS Bug: MCFG area at f0000000 is not E820-reserved

There is another error regarding an invalid MAC address. Yes, I have
upgraded the motherboard to the latest version of the BIOS (didn't
help...).

I have been able to get Mythbuntu to install on the machine, but that
raises other issues (a Mythbuntu FE can be made to talk to a Knoppmyth
BE, but things get nasty fast...).

Further, the on motherboard nVidia video display is not good enough to
support the playback of HD content (grumble).

At the moment I am wondering if my best way forward is to move
everything to Mythbuntu or if I should buy a different motherboard
(both options being nasty in different ways)...

The ugly:

- Coolmax 500W power supply. Way more power than a pure diskless FE
would need (as it turns out I have tossed in a 40 GB drive to support
Mythbuntu, but that is another story...).

Any event I thought I would drop this power supply into my FE/BE box
and move the FE/BE 430W power supply (also a Coolmax) into the FE box.
That turns out to be a non-option. The cord from the power supply is
too short to run from the power supply to the 20/24 pin power
connector on the motherboard. So, all is well inside the FE box
(shorter distance from power supply to motherboard). But it means that
I have a bigger power supply than I want/need in FE box and I don't
have the option of swapping power supplies between those two boxes
should the FE/BE power supply die...

In summary:

I am disgusted with the ASUS M2N-MX SE PLUS, it works but barely (all
the issues appear to land at the feet of the BIOS creators...), and I
am not happy with the Coolmax 500W power supply (would it kill them to
add an extra 3-5 cm of wire to the power connector).

Colin McGregor