Disk full -- any suggestions on what to move to SD card?

Evan Leibovitch evan-ieNeDk6JonTYtjvyW6yDsg at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 16 23:14:42 UTC 2008

Alex Maynard wrote:
> Jamon, Thanks for the good suggestion. Any particularly large software
> packages that I could safely remove.  I mainly use just emacs, latex,
> open-office, firefox, acroread.  I'm removing gimp, xsane, evolution.
> Are there any other large applications that I could remove to pair
> down on space?

If you're not into multimedia then you could also get rid of xine and/or
mplayer (or just have one but not both), as well as excess codecs. Then
there are the games and other diversions that you could also consider
getting rid of.

Then there are old versions of stuff. Usually when Ubuntu installs a new
kernel it doesn't get rid of the old one, so you might have duplicate
old kernels hanging around. Try the command <apt-cache search linux-image>
to see how many kernel versions you have installed. There are other
examples -- my system seems to have three different versions of gcc
installed, you may not need them all. It's also possible to have
multiple versions of mysql and other tools, watch out for that.

One other thing that Ubuntu tends to do is to install every possible X
server ... once you know which one you're using. Try <apt-cache search
xserver> to see if you have anything you can get rid of there...

Hope this helps....

- Evan