Low power low end cheap server

Lennart Sorensen lsorense-1wCw9BSqJbv44Nm34jS7GywD8/FfD2ys at public.gmane.org
Mon Jun 16 13:29:03 UTC 2008

On Sun, Jun 15, 2008 at 09:57:29PM -0400, Giles Orr wrote:
> I want to set up a computer for file storage, accessible via VPN.  I
> want it to consume very little power (I'm going to have it running
> always-on and at home), and it doesn't need much horsepower or memory
> but does need file space.  I thought initially I would use a DecTOP
> (https://store.dataevolution.com/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=DT-7001)
> but it has no ethernet, a 10GB HD, only 128Mb memory (I know I said it
> didn't need much memory, but that's _very_ low), and USB 1.1.  By the
> time you put in a new HD and remedy the ethernet, HD, and possibly the
> RAM issues you might as well have started with a more expensive base.
> mini-itx looks good, but seems hard to buy and build a full system in
> Canada - especially cheaply.
>
> Required:
> - ~750Gb 3.5" HD (not laptop, too expensive) - pref SATA, but not essential
> - 100Mb+ ethernet
> - Linux-compatible
> - processor/memory capable of running OpenVPN and SSH and handling
> maybe two simultaneous clients

I suspect that part shouldn't be a problem to handle for any modern CPU
even if it is low power.

> - USB 2.0
> - basic video (it will run headless, but for the install and debugging ...)
>
> Desirable elements:
> - under $350
> - power consumption in the 10-15w range

A typical harddrive uses about 9W in operation.  Laptop drives probably
half that.  I think your power budget is unrealistic unless you are
willing to spend more money on solid state disks or at least laptop
drives.

> - very small case
> - i386 compatibility
> - no power brick (but I could live with that)
> - very quiet
>
> If the price or power consumption of  any such solution is
> significantly higher than I'm hoping for the likeliest next choice
> will be to recycle one of the many old comps around my house and just
> throw a big hard drive in it.
>
> Suggestions?

Well something like this might be close to what you want:
http://www.goodcleantech.com/2008/02/build_your_own_ultralowpower_p.php
With a harddrive it uses about 23W full out, and about 12W idle
apparantly, and it has 100Mbit ethernet, VGA, etc.  No SATA, only IDE
unfortunately.  It also has a power brick.  The price seems about right
for what you wanted too.

--
Len Sorensen