Re: : Rogers explains ‘shaping' policy

Tyler Aviss tjaviss-Re5JQEeQqe8AvxtiuMwx3w at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 13 16:50:36 UTC 2008

Not very far. The legitimate content isn't just restricted to Linux
ISO's and freely provided music, you know.
Some MMORPG's, including I believe WoW, use bittorrent/P2P-like
technology for providing updates.

As WoW was at 9.3 subscribers as long as 6 months ago, I'd say that's
a lot of people making a legitimate use of the P2P technology (even
though many are probably unaware of how it works).

For myself, I'm a DSL user, but with a similar situation. In their
attempt to cover possible avenues of evading their filters, Bell
(though I'm a third-party customer) has been noticeably shaping
traffic in ways that adversely affect not just P2P, but various forms
of other traffic as well (for example, my encrypted IMAP connect to my
mailserver). That means that during the day when the shaping is in
place, grabbing my home email from work is a hugely slow pain in the
ass.

I've heard many others complaining of similar issues with Rogers, as
their aggressive shaping/filtering does collateral damage to other
traffic.

On Thu, Jun 12, 2008 at 12:05 PM, Stephen <stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org> wrote:
> Evan Leibovitch wrote:
>>
>> Rogers owns a number of print and broadcast media outlets and has a
>> strategic relationship with Yahoo. They have every interest in
>> maintaining (and indeed enhancing) an asymmetric relationship between
>> "providers" and "consumers" of data. P2P -- even for
>> legitimately-copyable content -- blurs the distinction and scares the
>> crap out of them.
>>

> If we divided the amount of legally copyable data by the amount of
> copyrighted data distributed
> on P2P networks, I wonder how many decimal points we would need to go to
> before the answer
> does not round down to zero?
>
> Stephen

Tyler Aviss