OT: Digital Online Rights / DVD / Cellphone

ted leslie tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org
Fri Jun 13 03:19:41 UTC 2008

I saw this on the news too.

The rule about not knowning "anti-circumvention clause invalidates all the other new provisions"
was interesting. Like the DVD crypto crack on linux (mplayer and the like),
would be an issue (unless licensed?)

but its a joke really and here is why.

Play your songs (who cares about the copy protect on it, you only find out about that usually, when you go to copy it, and something senses the copy right bits and gives you a message),
so you capture it analogue (like in the 80's!!!!), sure you get a bit of distortion, but ...
its perfectly legal!!! putting a auxin 1/8 pin to ipod and grab it, no one can say booo.
If you are like me and want perfection , i buy the CD's at play-it-again anyways. but if your
not fussy about it, a good analogue capture will be fine.

so now, what about video?

well fortunately before the BS hdmi with copyright was standardize (or is  close ? ),
RGB-out is on a lot of units, and may be for some time.
just like with the analogue  audio case above, if/when a reasonably price RGB HD capture
card some out, again, copy right, who cares!, if its on the RGB out, they can't say boooo.
again you gain a bit of distortion but, you are legally copying it, even if copy right bits are on
the digits version!
not sure if macrovision applies any more or on RGB-HD but i circumvented that legally as well anyways :)

so hurry up RGB HD capture card manufactures! get a economical one out!!
then the new bill has zero bite, in fact, it kinda works out nice, if you know the workarounds :)

but if your not a techy, you will have issue, all the manufactures of video product will
be arm twisted into enforcing DRM on the I/O of the video (and audio) of the media devices.

and a standalone RGB-HD capture device .... i don't know of any for consumer market.
For 2K$ there is a good xPCI based ones (pro and pro-sumer).

-tl

ted leslie <tleslie-RBVUpeUoHUc at public.gmane.org>