[TLUG]: Rogers explains 'shaping' policy

James Knott james.knott-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 12 23:35:43 UTC 2008

D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
> | From: Stephen <stephen-d-bJEeYj9oJeDQT0dZR+AlfA at public.gmane.org>
>
> | If all Rogers is doing is making an asymmetrical partition of bandwidth, so
> | downloads have much more than uploads, that does not jeopardize their common
> | carrier status. This has nothing to do with analyzing the data packets.
>
> But your premise is wrong.  They are not just making an asymmetric
> partition.
>
> They don't announce what they do, and they don't even truthfully answer
> questions about it, so we depend on observations.
>
> Rogers started with throttling BitTorrent traffic specifically.
>
> Some BitTorrents then were encrypted as a countermeasure.
>
> Then Rogers aparently started throttling encrypted traffic ("kill them
> all; let God sort them").
>
> See, for example:
>   http://torrentfreak.com/rogers-fighting-bittorrent-by-throttling-all-encrypted-transfers/
>
> If your premise was correct, we would not be complaining!

Is that a credible source? How do they know they throttle all encrypted
traffic? How does Rogers tell something is encrypted? Not all encryption
uses PPTP or IPsec. I regularly use an encrypted VPN between home &
work, using OpenVPN. I haven't noticed that being throttled, though I
haven't run any bandwidth tests. I suspect the main bottle neck would be
the ADSL connection at work, which is nowhere near as fast as my cable
modem connection. We also use another VPN (IPsec) between my office and
Montreal HQ. Haven't noticed any throttling there either. I ran a
bandwidth test on that link a couple of weeks ago and got about 800Kb or
the limit imposed by the ADSL upstream.

Based on what I've read however, I suspect Bell may be doing more
throttling than Rogers.