Rogers explains ‘shaping' policy

Jamon Camisso jamon.camisso-H217xnMUJC0sA/PxXw9srA at public.gmane.org
Thu Jun 12 15:10:18 UTC 2008

Stephen wrote:
> D. Hugh Redelmeier wrote:
>> The question is how they should divy up the bandwidth.
>>
> I thought that this was addressed well.
>
> They divvy up the bandwidth by partitioning the residential bandwidth so
> most is for downloading,
> and little is for uploading.
>
> Most domestic uploading (measured by volume) is file sharing of
> copyrighted  videos.
>
> By limiting uploads, they are limiting the amount of this data that can
> enter the Internet "cloud"
>
> This has the consequence of limiting downloads of this data.
>
> Legitimate servers that do not have small upload pipes can feed the
> cloud at much higher transfer
> rates.

I don't know this site, nor the legitimacy of the numbers, but this was
on slashdot the other day and notes that most bandwidth used during peak
hours is http, specifically related to streaming video:

http://gigaom.com/2008/04/22/shocking-new-facts-about-p2p-and-broadband-usage/

<quote>
# 20 percent of traffic is P2P applications
# During peak-load times, 70 percent of subscribers use http while 20
percent are using P2P
# Http still makes up the majority of the total traffic, of which 45
percent is traditional web content that includes text and images.
Streaming video and audio content from services like YouTube accounts
for nearly 50 percent of the http traffic.
</quote>

Limiting upload speeds across the board will be a great way for ISPs to
unwittingly help out recreating the asymmetric relationship (like
television) between users and the media they consume, e.g. slow posting
to youtbe for those who use it etc.

Jamon